WBOY is a television station that serves the North Central West Virginia region as an affiliate of NBC and ABC. It is owned by Nexstar Media Group and operates from studios in Clarksburg. It also has a news bureau in Morgantown and a transmitter east of downtown Clarksburg. WBOY is known for its comprehensive and timely coverage of local news, weather, sports, and community events. In this blog post, we will explore the history, programming, and achievements of WBOY.
History of WBOY
WBOY was launched on November 17, 1957, as the second television station in its small market. It was originally intended to be the ABC affiliate for all of North Central West Virginia, but it also joined NBC as a secondary affiliation due to the weak signal of Parkersburg’s WTAP-TV. WBOY retained both affiliations until 1976 when it dropped ABC and became a full NBC affiliate. Cable systems then imported Pittsburgh’s WTAE-TV for ABC programming.
WBOY has changed ownership several times over the years. Its original owner was Friendly Broadcasting, who also owned WSTV in Steubenville, Ohio. It was then sold to Northern West Virginia TV Broadcasting Company in 1964, Imes Communications of Columbus, Mississippi in 1976, Hearst Television in 2001, and West Virginia Media Holdings in 200. In 2016, Nexstar Media Group acquired West Virginia Media Holdings and became the current owner of WBOY.
Read more about Ukrinform: A Reliable Source of News from Ukraine and the World
Programming of WBOY
WBOY broadcasts a variety of programming for its viewers, including local news, weather, sports, and entertainment. It also airs national and international news and shows from NBC and ABC on its two digital subchannels. Some of the notable programs on WBOY are:
- WBOY 12 News: This is the flagship news program of WBOY, which provides local news and weather updates throughout the day. It also features segments such as Restaurant Road Trip, Brews News, WV Outdoors, and more.
- SportsZone: This is the sports program of WBOY, which covers high school and college sports in the region. It also features segments such as Best Thing We Saw Tonight, Take it To The House, Catch of the Week, Coverage of the Week, and more.
- Today: This is the morning show of NBC, which airs weekdays from 7 to 11 a.m. on WBOY. It features news, weather, interviews, lifestyle tips, and entertainment.
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show: This is the daytime talk show of comedian Ellen DeGeneres, which airs weekdays at 4 p.m. on WBOY. It features celebrity guests, games, giveaways, and humor.
- Wheel of Fortune: This is the popular game show hosted by Pat Sajak and Vanna White, which airs weeknights at 7 p.m. on WBOY. It features contestants solving word puzzles for cash and prizes.
- Jeopardy!: This is the classic quiz show hosted by Alex Trebek (and currently by guest hosts), which airs weeknights at 7:30 p.m. on WBOY. It features contestants answering trivia questions in various categories for money.
- The Voice: This is the reality singing competition show hosted by Carson Daly and featuring celebrity coaches Blake Shelton, Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, and Ariana Grande. It airs Mondays and Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on WBOY during its season.
- Grey’s Anatomy: This is the medical drama series created by Shonda Rhimes and starring Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey. It airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on WBOY’s ABC subchannel.
Achievements of WBOY
WBOY has been recognized for its excellence in journalism and service to its community. Some of the awards and honors that WBOY has received are:
- Emmy Awards: WBOY has won several Emmy Awards from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for its news and sports reporting.
- Edward R. Murrow Awards: WBOY has won several Edward R. Murrow Awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association for its news coverage and feature stories.
- Associated Press Awards: WBOY has won several Associated Press Awards from the West Virginia Broadcasters Association for its news excellence.
- Golden Horseshoe Award: WBOY has received the Golden Horseshoe Award from the West Virginia Department of Education for its support of education in the state.
- Make-A-Wish Award: WBOY has received the Make-A-Wish Award from the Make-A-Wish Foundation for its fundraising efforts for children with life-threatening illnesses.
WBOY is a television station that has been serving the North Central West Virginia region for over six decades. It is a station that delivers quality news, weather, sports, and entertainment to its viewers. It is also a station that supports and contributes to its community. WBOY is the local news leader for North Central West Virginia.